I participated in an incredible online chat last week with the Ed Recovery Jax Support Group. Thanks to everyone who joined! The participants asked me to post information that I talked (a.k.a. slowly typed) about that night on this blog. So, what follows are 8 recovery concepts--- things that I found particularly helpful in achieving full freedom from Ed.
1. Get to a place where Ed is NOT an option. On the list of ways you deal with life, remove Ed’s name!
2. Believe in recoverED.
3. FULLY embrace food! If you have my latest book Goodbye Ed, Hello Me, read the chapter called “Jump.”
4. Surround yourself with supportive people and tattletale on Ed.
5. Give yourself time and patience for body image to heal. (Don’t go back to Ed when you start feeling uncomfortable in your body.)
6. Talk about what you don’t want to talk about (in therapy, group, etc.). Ed loves it when you keep secrets, so don’t.
7. Incorporate spirituality into your recovery--- whether that means 12-step meetings, nature, church, music, or something else.
8. Don’t wait around for recovery to be easy. It’s not. Find the hard part and tackle that. You can do it!
If you want to participate in the next online support meeting, which will be on Thursday at 8:30 EST, just sign up beforehand at www.edrecoveryjax.ning.com.
Also, check out the new book written by Carolyn Costin, MA, MEd, MFCC, and Gwen Schubert Grabb called 8 Keys to Recovery from an Eating Disorder. It is a must-read on the recovery shelf!
I look forward to hearing from you. Please comment and post helpful recovery tips for others!